Maybe what happens to us is definite. Perhaps, written in the stars somewhere, our sole purpose in life will be revealed. Could it be that our destiny is already set in stone?
Gambling on a chance like that would be too much for me, but too often out hands are forced and our decisions are made for us.
Too often my decisions, were made for me.
My decisions, my choices, too often thrown into the hands of one person or another, hands hungrily snatching, nail scratching like black carrion crowns homing in on a kill.
Once and once again I am visited by Fortuna, Lady Luck.
Once and once again I am willing to take a gamble on my life.
Ancient China was a bustling place. The cities were full of merchants bidding off sins to the highest bidder. Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride; all could be found in a single province the size of a shopping mall. But the cities were also the places where extravagant goods- silk, gold, jade- could be found. The only places where mirrors could be purchased for the same price as a small city.
I loved the city for all its niceties and imperfections. I was young and I loved it, much as I loved frequenting the gaming parlors, which wouldn't have drawn so many eyes had only I been born a son! At a rash seventeen, I gambled with my life and paid a heavy price.
WOAAAH THERE! What an enticing introduction, Julia! I can't say I'm hooked, but I encourage you to keep writing. :) Go, Julia!
ReplyDelete--shammy